Pitch to Lateral
Lateral accepts pitches about any topic relating to science and its interaction with society and culture. To get a good idea about the types of articles we publish, check out our past issue archives. We do not currently accept submissions of completed articles.
Sign up to our pitching newsletter to receive more info about specific ideas our editors would like Lateral to explore, upcoming deadlines, potential commissions, and opportunities at the magazine.You can also join our pitching and commissioning group on Facebook.
Magazine Pitching Guidelines
Your pitch should give us a clear idea of the topic and tone of the proposed article, and we should also be able to see how it will fit into Lateral’s ongoing exploration of the relationship between science and society.
Make sure you send your pitch to the section it will fit best in. Contact details for the different sections are available on the opposite side.
- In your pitch, please include:
- A paragraph outlining the article you wish to write including the topic, your angle, key points to address and questions to explore.
- Article type: Feature (themed) articles are typically between 1,200 and 2,000 words, while general (non-themed) articles and columns are typically between 800 and 1,200 words.
- Some background information and/or links to articles on the broader topic, and an explanation of what new information or angle your piece will provide; and
- Key researchers or stakeholders you might approach for comment
Experience required: None. Here at Lateral, our editorial team is here to help you write about science for a general audience. Your pitches will be accepted on the strength of your ideas and how well they fit into the magazine style and vision — we'll help you with the writing part.
Podcast Pitching Guidelines
Unlike writing for the magazine, contributors to our podcast must have some prior experience in audio storytelling and ideally be able to include a link to a published piece of work with your pitch. If you have a great idea but are a little light on experience please contact us anyway. We commission pieces based on the strength of the idea and experience but we will still consider your pitch if we have resources available to assist you with the production.
Contributors must have access to editing software and access to a microphone and recorder. You can record directly into your computer or smart phone but we’d prefer your audio be recorded with a microphone rather than the inbuilt microphone on your computer etc. Audacity is an audio editing program that can be downloaded for free but ideally you will have prior experience with this software. Some other programs for audio editing include Adobe Audition and Pro tools.
In your pitch please include:
- An outline of your idea
- Who you will be speaking to
- Why your idea makes a good story for a podcast
- Details of your experience in audio storytelling
- Story length (see opposite side for details)
Upcoming themes and deadlines:
Issue 29 (OCTOBER 2018): FISH
Pitching Deadline: 18th August
Types of pitches Lateral accepts:
- Feature (themed) articles are typically between 1,200 and 2,000 words. Each issue, we publish a feature article in every section (5-6 total). Each issue will have a pitching deadline - see above.
- General (non-themed) articles — typically between 800 and 1,200 words. General articles can be pitched at any time.
- Feature stories for the podcast are typically 5-8 minutes long. We are unable to accept stories that are any longer than 8 minutes.
- Shorter features or segments are typically 2-4 minutes long. If you have an idea for a regular segment (2-4 mins) we would love to hear it. It does not necessarily have to feature in every episode but should appear every alternate episode.
Please send pitches to the relevant sections:
General/miscellaneous pitches: email@example.com
Art & Popular Culture pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Life Science pitches: email@example.com
Physical Science pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Philosophy & History pitches: email@example.com
Society & Education pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Collateral (audio pitches podcast): email@example.com