Pitch to Lateral
Lateral accepts pitches about any topic relating to science and its interaction with society and culture. To get a good idea about the types of articles we publish, check out our past issue archives. We do not currently accept submissions of completed articles.
Sign up to our pitching newsletter to receive more info about specific ideas our editors would like Lateral to explore, upcoming deadlines, potential commissions, and opportunities at the magazine.You can also join our pitching and commissioning group on Facebook.
- Feature (themed) articles are typically between 1,200 and 2,000 words, while general (non-themed) articles are typically between 800 and 1,200 words. Please make clear what kind of article you are pitching and its approximate word length.
- Please include:
- An outline of the article you wish to write (the topic, your angle, key points to address and questions to explore);
- Some background information and/or links to articles on the broader topic, and an explanation of what new information or angle your piece will provide; and
- Key contacts or stakeholders you might approach for comment
- Your pitch should give us a clear idea of the topic and tone of the proposed article, and we should also be able to see how it will fit into Lateral’s ongoing exploration of the relationship between science and society.
Upcoming themes and deadlines:
Issue 26 (April 2018): Villains
Pitching Deadline: Closed
Issue 27 (JUNE 2018): MAPS
Pitching Deadline: 9th April 2018
Where to send your pitch
Please send pitches to the relevant email address:
General/miscellaneous pitches: email@example.com
Art & Popular Culture pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Life Science pitches: email@example.com
Physical Science pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Philosophy & History pitches: email@example.com
Society & Education pitches: firstname.lastname@example.org
Collateral (audio pitches for our podcast): email@example.com