Welcome to the first episode of Collateral, (not just) a science podcast. Each episode of Collateral will follow the same theme as the current issue of the mag. This show is all about villains.
We’ve all heard of the great heroes of science. Alexander Fleming discovering penicillin, Marie Curie developing the theory of radioactivity, Charles Darwin formulating his theory of natural selection, and, of course, the whole community of scientists and researchers whose work may not achieve rock star status, but whose contributions to society are nevertheless vital.
But when it comes to the villains of science, it’s not necessarily the scientists themselves who fill that role. It’s often the tyrants in charge of them, or the people who put their discoveries into practice, or the diseases that are studied in the lab, or the environmental destruction that scientists work to undo. These are the villains of today’s episode.
In this episode, we share:
a harrowing field story in a tropical paradise (produced by Sunsanee McDonnell)
a story about the villains behind the Soviet Union's atomic bomb project (produced by Ellice Mol)
the case for antiheroes (produced by Silvi Vann-Wall)
an interview with our magazine’s cover artist, Will Tempest (produced by Linda Goodman)
a profile of an Unpopular Culture, gonorrhea (produced by Rhys McGowan)
Thanks to our Executive Producer Ellice Mol and Sound Designer and Producer Rhys McGowan and the podcast team, Sunsanee McDonnell and Sarah Matthews. Special thanks to our contributors Silvi Vann-Wall and Lynda Goodman. Thanks also for the support from Lateral Magazine's editor-in-chief Tessa Evans and the entire editorial team.
Don't forget to share, like and subscribe to the show and follow us on Twitter @CollateralPod. If you have any feedback, or would like to pitch a story, we'd love to hear from you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Illustration by Will Tempest
- Music credits: That Sinking Feeling Suggestive Dreams 2 - Magnus Ringbloom; Adventure 1 (Sting) - Jon Björk; Before the Storm - The Aurora Principle. Track three of album "Things Unseen"
- Music credits: Unpopular Culture Psychedelic - Royalty Free Music from Bensound; Sexy - Royalty Free Music from Bensound; Horror 13 - Jason Shaw; Dark Mystery - Jason Shaw; All That - Royalty Free Music from Bensound
- Music credits: Science in the Sharaski Es Quantum Kinetics 3 - Patrik Almkvisth; Circus Marcus - Petite pice minime No 2 - Batifol; Chris Zabriskie - Cylinder Six; Scott Holmes - Haze; Scott Holmes - Abandoned City; Dee Yan-Key - Funeral Music; Mported Flows - Master Plan Dark Days Instrumental; Blue Dot Sessions - Mind Body Mind
- Music credits: The case for antiheroes Long Trail - Brian Boyko; Fantastic Dim Bar - Kevin MacLeod; Dark Hallway - Kevin MacLeod
- Music credits: Collateral Sunday Funday - Scott Holmes; Postcards - Scott Holmes; Microscopic life - Audio network; Here comes trouble 2 - Audio network